Fundraising Prospect Researcher
The Prospect Researcher will be responsible for conducting donor prospect research to identify and research current and potential major donors. Summaries of current and historical relationships with the organization, if any, as well as concise analytical potential and propensity to donate to the Foundation will be prepared for sharing with the Development team and, when appropriate, senior leadership.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities include:
- Work with Development team to strategize, identify, and rank individual donor prospects from the Guideposts subscriber and donor databases.
- Conduct research on donor prospects using a broad range of internal and external data sources.
- Organize information regarding biographical and business backgrounds, financial capacity and propensity, compensation, stocks/options and retirement plans, property transactions, affiliations and philanthropic as well as personal interests.
- Develop and prepare detailed biographical profiles and research reports including biographical and business information, financial assets, areas of interest, philanthropic support, and affiliations.
- Search for and follow up leads on new prospects by scanning media sources for individuals who may have interests that align with Guideposts programs.
- Update and maintain gift and non-gift information on prospects and donors in Raiser’s Edge database.
- Investigate prospect research vendors and other resource options to augment the existing database; coordinate analysis and integration and use of new data.
- Make recommendations and provide input to the Development team on selection of donors and prospects for portfolios, mailings, etc.
- Serve as the primary resource for generating reports and queries for Development through Raiser’s Edge.
- Coordinate use of Raiser’s Edge database among Development team (assist in weekly updates, problem-solve technical issues, assist departmental staff on integration of Raisers Edge into their jobs, etc).
- Remain current and fully informed on prospect research trends and available resources in the field.
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in fundraising or related research and database management using Raisers Edge preferred,
- Strong analytical skills with ability to identify groupings, trends, etc. in large groups of data.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills essential.
- Highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Skilled at managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to relate well to others and to work as part of a team.
- Proficient in MS Office applications, Lexis Nexis and internet research.