ASPIRE Middle School Staff Associate
Family & Children’s Agency (FCA) is a leading, nonprofit human service organization committed to building better lives by increasing the social and emotional wellbeing of our clients. We provide strength based solution focused services that meet the needs of our clients throughout the life cycle including children, families, youth, adults and seniors. Our acquired knowledge and skill has also enabled us to be responsive to the changing needs in the communities we serve.
Our Mission is to partner with individuals, families, organizations and communities to build better lives
We are searching for a Part-Time Staff Associate to join our ASPIRE Middle School Program:
The ASPIRE Middle School Component’s mission is to improve the lives of Norwalk’s at-risk middle school youth by enabling their successful transition into high school and increasing their ability to be productive, independent young adults. The program meets five days a week during the school year from 3:00-5:30pm at Norwalk Community College and is open to Norwalk middle school students who meet the program criteria. The program focuses on academic support, enrichment, life skills, and leadership development.
The ASPIRE Staff Associate works as part of a team to provide after school services to 50 middle school students and their families. The Staff Associate is responsible for leading and managing a classroom of approximately 18 students each day which includes providing academic support and delivering life skill and enrichment programming. The Staff Associate is responsible for managing many of the day-to-day operations/logistics of the program and maintains a caseload of approximately 12 students. Daily required hours are from 10:00-6:00pm Monday through Friday. Occasional weekend and evening hours.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide direct supervision of students in the after school program, ensuring their physical and emotional safety while in the program.
- Utilize effective classroom management skills and implement the program’s discipline practices.
- Develop positive relationships with students and adhere to a strengths-based perspective.
- Interact professionally and appropriately with students, parents, staff, and volunteers.
- Execute assigned lesson plans with students.
- Facilitate groups for middle school students, including gender based groups, enrichment activities and activities which promote positive youth development
- Participate in and evaluate the effectiveness of activities and events.
- Manage and maintain the Evolv database of student/client information including intake information and ongoing documentation such as progress notes, academic grades, and other outcome information.
- Maintain a chart on each student on case load in the program including intake information and ongoing documentation on academic grades, social emotional development, and other outcome information.
- Provide case management services to students on assigned caseload, assisting them with goal setting, service planning, and academic achievement.
- Provide individual support to students and their families, attend school meetings, and refer families to outside resources as necessary.
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents/guardians of students on caseload as well as conduct face to face case conferences twice each school year
- Oversee organization and maintenance of program space/classrooms, storage closet, and ASPIRE store.
- Assist with on-site support and supervision of volunteers and work study students assisting within the program.
- Participate in FCA’s 6 week, cross-curriculum, summer program for middle school students
- Bachelors in Education, Social Work, or other related degree (preferred) or Associates degree and/or a minimum of three years’ experience working with youth in an after school, school, or social service setting with demonstrated classroom management skills.
- Awareness of the cultural and socioeconomic characteristics of clients served and an ability to work well with low-income families.
- Very strong organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Dependable, consistent, flexible, and patient.
- Self-reflective & open/receptive to feedback & supervision.
- Computer proficiency (Microsoft Office – including Outlook, Word, Excel)
- First Aid and CPR (adult and child) certified (can be obtained once hired).
- Clean driving and criminal record.
- Driver’s licenses with public passenger endorsement and S or V endorsement (can be obtained once hired) and own reliable transportation.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Knowledge about the Norwalk community and resources available a plus.
We are proud to have been named as the #1 Medium Sized Workplace in Southern Connecticut by Hearst Media in 2016. We offer a competitive compensation package with benefits.
Candidates may apply by visiting the employment section of our website. Please be prepared with your cover letter and resume when you begin the application process. http://www.familyandchildrensagency.org/employment/