The Purchasing Manager is a key member of the Supply Chain leadership team and leads a team of four in the procurement of packaging for the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage all activities of the Purchasing Department, supporting the packaging needs of the Bigelow manufacturing facilities and other corporate procurement requirements.
- Oversee the procurement process for all packaging materials, ensuring best practices are followed relative to purchasing controls, quality, cost and inventory management.
- Proactively seek ways to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of purchasing processes and tools to support the needs of the business.
- Develop mid and long-term commodity strategies; conduct annual commodity reviews with a cross-functional team including Manufacturing and Quality.
- Manage long term, strategic supplier relationships.
- Work with suppliers to drive value for the business by improving cost, quality, and lead times.
- Key user of LX, Bigelow’s ERP system, ensuring the system is aligned with business processes and maintained accordingly. Supports team in use of the system.
- Develop, monitor and refine purchasing KPI’s and metrics.
- Conduct market research and analysis for benchmarking current costs and projecting trends.
- Act as process owner for raw material and purchased finished goods inventory policies and practices; establish inventory targets by commodity. Monitors results.
- Oversee the implementation of Raw Material and Supplier Qualifications, following the appropriate Quality procedures.
- Maintain the Purchasing Policy and Procedure Manual. Coordinate procedures with other department as they relate to cross-functional processes.
- Support new products and packaging through development, trial and commercialization phases.
- Identify supply risks and develop contingency plans to mitigate potential issues. Recommend alternative materials and/or suppliers to ensure secure supply.
- Act as innovation scout for new technologies and sustainable packaging options.
- Miscellaneous tasks assigned by senior management of the company as they may occur.